Cleaning (Correct care of firefighting suits)
Correct care of firefighting suits
Cleaning: After each use, clean the firefighting suit to remove contaminants, soot, and other debris.
Firefighter protective clothing must be kept clean to ensure its optimal performance. Contaminated suit carries less insulation, is more likely to conduct heat and electricity, lacks liquid shedding properties and can become potentially flammable. Moreover, many fireground contaminants are carcinogens and skin toxic chemicals. Cleaning suits after each use helps prevent cross-contamination. Firefighting suit needs to be cleaned regularly to prevent these problems. Yet, improper cleaning can also destroy clothing or worsen its protective performance.
Routine Cleaning: Perform the followings after each use:
- Remove Loose Debris: Brush off or gently shake the gear to remove loose debris.
- Pre-Rinse with water: Use a hose or gentle stream of water to pre-rinse the suit to remove surface contaminants. Or drain and refill water from sink repeatedly until the suit is rinsed when cleaning in a utility sink.
- Wash: Scrub gently the stained area with soft bristle brush (avoid knitted cuffs, reflective strips and liner).
- Rinse: Thoroughly rinse the suit to remove contaminated residue.
- Soaking: Soak the suit with detergent and water for 30 to 60 minutes. Do not soak for too long to prevent reverse contamination.
- Hand Wash: Complete the whole process of Routine Cleaning.
- Machine Wash:
- Prewash the machine to prevent cross contamination.
- Don’t overload the machine.
- Fasten all closures, including pocket closures, hook and loop, snaps, zippers and hooks.
- Turn garment inside out and place in a mesh laundry bag.
- Tumble washing machine with low rotate speed and temperature 40° C/ 104° F is recommended.
- Use detergent which PH value between 6.0~10.5 only.
- Do notshare washing machine with other clothing (non-firefighting clothing) to avoidcross-contamination.
- Donot use dry cleaning as the ingredients of dry-cleaning solvent may damage the FRfibers.
- Wearprotective gloves & eye/face splash protection when cleaning.